You’re flying into Orlando International Airport and are looking for the best way to get both to and around the Walt Disney World Resort. You really have two primary options: Disney transportation and “something else”. The “something else” option we want to look at today is renting a car. When does it make sense for you to rent a car for your WDW vacation?
We compiled data from fourteen Disney expert sources to answer this particular question. Sourced articles are listed at the end of this post.
Top Answer: 93% of Disney expert sources say it makes sense to rent a car if you plan to visit non-Disney attractions in the Central Florida area.
Other Disney expert-cited reasons to rent a car include:
We always rent a car when we vacation at WDW. Here’s why:
- Life is unpredictable. Life with children is somehow even more unpredictable. The idea of going to WDW with my two children and not having access to a car to quickly handle any unanticipated needs (e.g. grocery / pharmacy / urgent care run) adds a stress that threatens to overrun our fun.
- If you’ve ever tried to bus it back from a park to your resort at the end of a long day, you know it’s not the most enjoyable experience in the world. After making this mistake a few times (especially leaving the Magic Kingdom post-fireworks), I’ve determined really any alternative beats a seemingly-long bus ride with 100 other folks crammed in a tight space. Throwing a stroller into the mix doesn’t help either.
- This isn’t a great revelation, but, yall….buses are slow. Note this next time you pass one in your rental car. They do, however, make up some of that time by dropping you off at the front-entrance
- With the system we’ve perfected over the years, we can get from Orlando International Airport to our resort in a little less than an hour. From our previous experience, it’s a longer process using Disney’s Magical Express (read “bus service”)….both going and coming.
- The ability to break mid-day and explore the resort while the kids nap is one of our favorite things to do.
- At the end of the day, we just like the peace of mind knowing that, at any time, we can hop in our rental car and go or do anything.
Do you typically rent a car for your WDW trips? Let us know in the poll below. Also, let us know why you do (or don’t) rent in the comments section.